Lost in Belize II: Where to Stay in Ambergris Caye

Caribbean, Central and South America, Dispatches from the Road, Hotels & Resorts, In-Room Reviews, Spa & Beauty — By on March 5, 2010 at 6:00 am

by Holly Corbett
LG Executive Editor

I’ve made my way to what some Latins call La Isla Bonita (a.k.a. “The Beautiful Island”).  Lapped by an ocean that’s the underside-of-an-aquamarine-stone green and decorated with coconut trees on white-powder beaches, it’s easy to see how Ambergris Caye got its nickname.

San Pedro is the island’s main town, and couldn’t be more of a contrast from the New York City I’d left behind. As a guest of the Phoenix Resort, I headed to the pool with my Macbook tucked under my arm. Before I could even boot it up, I heard a voice say, “We don’t like to see tourists working too hard.” Behind me was a grinning Belizean gardener. “You can relax-you’re on island time now.” He was right: To get the full experience, I had to back away from the laptop and do the kind of surfing that didn’t involve the world wide web.

Yes, the newly-opened Phoenix Resort may have free in-room wi-fi, but there were far more tempting ways to spend my in-room moments sunning on the private veranda overlooking the Caribbean, soaking in the Jacuzzi tub stocked with Aveda products, and lost in the king-sized bed with fluffy white comforters that made me imagine I was in a cloud. Warning: The Phoenix is so comfortable it tempts me to be a “lazy” traveler and stay put rather than explore: I splashed around in the saline infinity and lap pools, got a cacao-masa scrub glo from the onsite Sol Spa, and ate fresh-caught grouper at the gourmet Red Ginger restaurant.  They even offer morning power yoga classes three times a week, but I missed them because I was out diving.

Apart from the comfort of the accommodations, I’d also recommend the Phoenix for the location: It’s right near the heart of San Pedro so you don’t have to take a water taxi or golf cart to get around. Amigas Del Mar dive shop is less than a five-minute walk away (which is especially convenient when trips to the Blue Hole start around 5:30 a.m.). There are a whole slew of restaurants and bars on the beach right outside the resort’s gates, or you can leave through the front door to enter the town’s cobblestone streets for some window-shopping.

I definitely want to come back here with more people: The Phoenix has one-, two-, and three-bedroom condos which easily fit families, friends, or couples who want a laid-back-but-luxurious vacation spot. During low-season rates can drop by almost 20 percent, so May 1st to December 18th are the times to go to get the best deals. Next up: What to do (besides dive!) and where to eat in Ambergris Caye.

Photo Credit for Resort: Mike Bristol

Tags: , ,

• cnp_nyc says:

Did you make it to Caye Caulker? Love it there!

• Yes but… did ya play the legendary “Chicken Drop” at the Spindrift? I first explored Belize way back in the 80′s before anybody had even HEARD of Belize. Decidedly a tad more developed now, but ah yes, like cnp_nyc – I still much prefer sweet little Caye Caulker.

• Ian says:

You must visit us inland – Belize was also the center of the Mayan Empire and is culturally one of the most impressive destinations in the world.

• Lost Girls says:

I hope to make it to Caye Caulker next time because I ran out of time during this trip. I heard it’s beautiful there! And I did go inland caving, to the ruins, etc. I loved all the adventures Belize has to offer!

• jules says:

ten years ago i left my corporate job to travel. i now, like you encourage others to explore the world. recently back from costa rica with my family and a few friends. http://more2explore.wordpress.com/2010/05/19/paradise-found/
    find a way to get out of town. if you need help call me!

• Jenna says:

I went to Belize a few months ago, I loved San Ignacio but was not so much a fan of Caye Caulker.

Maybe it was just bad luck but I felt very unsafe there, women are hassled much more then men and it can be a little too much! I’ve been to a lot of places where I’m used to people hustling, etc but Caye Caulker was the worst for me!

• chris says:

Belize sucks ass.

• Aathila says:

I absolutely loved Ambergris Caye…read about my adventures here.

• Ben Crosky says:

I run a small yoga adventure travel company, Solyoga Tipsand I am thinking about developing a yoga and diving trip to Belize. Do you think ambergris caye would be a good place for us? Do you know any other places that would be good for a trip like this with around 15 people?
    Ben – Solyoga Trips

• I actually wanted to write a small remark so as to appreciate you for these splendid strategies you are placing at this website. My long internet search has finally been honored with incredibly good content to talk about with my friends. I would repeat that most of us website visitors actually are very fortunate to be in a perfect network with very many outstanding individuals with interesting tricks. I feel quite happy to have used the website and look forward to so many more entertaining times reading here. Thanks a lot once again for a lot of things.

• swtor says:

I have learn several just right stuff here. Definitely price bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you set to make this kind of great informative web site.