The Married Guy’s Guide to: Las VegasDispatches from the Road, Featured, Lost Boys, Nevada, Sports & Games — By Jen B on August 10, 2010 at 3:00 pm
By Dean Arrindell
Special to Lost Girls World
The moment you land in Las Vegas, it’s easy to see why it’s called Sin City: slot machines are in the airport and scantily-clad party-people are living it up in nearly every ad. The city tourism department even embraced “What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas” as a slogan. So, it makes sense that wives and girlfriends might not feel happy about their guys going to Sin City – especially if it’s a trip with his boys. Gambling, booze and the promise of sex (in the ads, anyway) are everywhere. But that’s not what Vegas is all about.
Here are five ideas you can suggest to your guy that won’t make you worry he’s breaking the bank, the law or your vows:
- Mario Andretti Racing Experience – Does your guy like fast cars? Like most people, he’s probably never driven an Indycar. He can do just that at the Mario Andretti Racing Experience. Depending on the package purchased, the rider can sit in the back seat of an Indy car driven by a trained driver, or go it alone and take themselves around the track. Either way, they’ll be in a 600hp car taking them to speeds up to 160mph – after some training, of course! This excursion may not break the bank, but might slightly bruise it. The five-minute drive-time package is about $300 dollars. But at about $60 a minute, you can lose much more in a casino where you’re standing perfectly still.
- The Gun Store – While it does sell firearms, The Gun Store is also an indoor gun range where you can fire anything from a Thompson sub-machine gun to an AK-47 among other machine guns, rifles and pistols. Range instructors guide guests on how to handle and fire the weapons. Prices range from the tens of dollars for individual gun rentals, to hundreds of dollars for VIP packages.
- Hoover Dam – The Hoover Dam is often called one of the Wonders of the World. Why? Here are some figures: The dam weighs 6.6 million tons (slightly more than the Great Pyramid in Giza, Egypt) and has 4.36 million tons of concrete which could build a highway from SF to NYC. All that concrete took 21,000 men five years to construct. Nothing that big gets built that quickly anymore. The best part is, visitors are able to walk or drive across this monstrosity and see the beautiful views of the Colorado River. There are tours available to and from Hoover Dam, but parking is available right next to the Dam. It might be worth renting a car for the 45 minute drive.
- SkyJump - How about suggesting a jump off the Stratosphere Tower? He can do it and still come home in one piece if he jumps with SkyJump. At the north end of the Strip, jumpers go the 108th floor of the Stratosphere Tower, get trained, suited and prepared for the 855-foot controlled fall. (They compare it to a vertical zip-line). If your guy is so scared he forgets to check out the view of Las Vegas from the top of the Stratosphere, there’s another opportunity to do that.
- The Playboy Club – After speeding around a racetrack, shooting off some rounds, marveling at one of the Wonders of the World, or purposely jumping off a building, your guy might need to take the edge off with a cocktail. Enter the world’s one and only Playboy Club. On the 52nd Floor of the Palms Hotel’s Fantasy Tower, the club has spectacular views of the strip, ten gambling tables up there with Playboy Bunnies as dealers and servers. Don’t worry about any funny business, though. The Playboy Club has a “no nudity” policy.
In a place known as Sin City, there are definitely fun things guys can do in Vegas that don’t have to “stay” there. And who knows? You may find yourself doing these things on your next trip to Vegas.
No related posts.