8 Best Travel Skincare ProductsPacking & Wardrobe, Spa & Beauty — By Kristen P on September 21, 2010 at 12:00 pm
By Kristen Putch
LG Acquisitions Editor
You want to have a glowing complexion on the road without lugging around a ton of products. But travel can wreak havoc on your skin: Between too much sun on the beach, windburn from hiking a mountain top, and dry airplane air, your skin needs extra t.l.c. So we’ve compiled a list of the best skin care products that either multi-task or are ultra portable, so you can keep fresh-faced on your journeys—wherever they may be.
1. Neova Day Therapy SPF 30 moisturizer: This multipurpose moisturizer not only keeps your skin hydrated, but is super-powerful at blocking harmful UVA/UVB damage. Made with Copper Peptide Complex, other antioxidants and a special DNA repair complex, it not only protects future damage but helps repair past UV damage by rebuilding collagen and elastin while helping skin stay hydrated. Available in 1.7oz airless pump. ($85.00, nextderm.com)
2. Shobha Rosewater Freshening Cloths: Being on the road means not always having access to a shower, or even running water in some cases. Which is why cleansing cloths serve as the perfect alternative when you need to rinse sweat and grime off your face. Infused with essential oil of rose, these cloths not only help you clean up but also help retain moisture in your skin. They even work as great makeup removers, and since they are free of artificial fragrance or color, they are prefect for sensitive skin. Each pack contains 10 luxury-sized clothes which come in a discreet, resealable pouch which is TSA friendly. ($9.00, MyShobha.com or Shobha locations in NYC).
3.Wexler complete skincare kit: Dr. Patricia Wexler has found a way to help your skin beat the heat with her new skincare kit. Some of us can’t rely on one simple product to maintain our fickle skin, so Dr. Wexler has given a way to get everything we need out of a skincare line, in convenient travel sizes. In her own patented technology, MPPi20, these products help ward off the harmful affects of MMP’s in the skin. MMP’s are group of enzymes which are responsible for complexion damage from fine lines to blemishes. The kit includes: -MMPi20 Skin Regenerating Serum -Universal Anti-Aging Cleanser with MPPi20 -Skin Brightening Daily moisturizer SPF 30 with MPPi20 -Intensive 3-in-1 Eye Cream -Intensive night Reversal and Repair Cream All parts of the kit come in travel-friendly sizes. ($39.50, Bath and Body Works stores nationwide, bathandbodyworks.com)
4. Doctor T’s Supergoop! SPF 30+ Sunscreen Wipes:Why try to lug around a giant bottle of sunscreen when you can simply wipe the protection on to your skin?! Formulated to work on all skin types, even the most sensitive skin, these wipes are made to calm, soothe and protect. Infused with zinc oxide for powerful UV protection; green tea to reduce irritation and redness; and vitamin E to soften skin, these wipes leave your skin protected without a greasy residue. Available in two sizes, the full 40-count or the convenient 8-count pack, you shouldn’t leave home without them. ($34/40-count, $12/8-count, available at 3floz.com.)
5. Doctor T’s Supergoop! Plus SPF 30+ Everyday UV Face & Body Moisturizing Lotion: Doctor T certainly knows what he’s doing to get TWO spots on our list! If you prefer the more traditional sunscreen, this lotion is not only a moisturizer but a powerful protectant as well. Made with Parsol SLX, and internationally recognized UVA booster, it has earned the PA++ international standard for sun protection. It is also paraben and fragrance-free, so it won’t irritate sensitive skin. This is also the perfect for those of you who plan to take to the sea (or lake) while you’re traveling as it lasts up to 80 minutes in the water. It comes in a 3 fl. oz. airless pump, which means it is TSA friendly. ($22.00, available at 3floz.com).
6. Reviva Labs Hyaluronic Acid Serum: Reviva is one of the original founders of professional aesthetician skincare in the US. Their Hyaluronic Acid Serum is great for dry climates and for airplanes during flight. Giving the same refreshing sensation as spritzing your face with water, you apply this serum for an instant refresher. And unlike lotions, which tend to be heavy, a drop of this applied to your skin smooths on like silk and won’t leave a greasy residue. Not only will the Hyaluronic Acid Serum firm and hydrate your skin, it’s available in a 1 oz bottle so you won’t be stopped at security. ($22.00, available online at revivalabs.com or amazon.com).
7. Weleda Almond Facial Oil: If you’re the type who uses a moisturizer, eye cream, and/or serum and eyemakeup remover, you can toss all those products aside for just one: almond facial oil. Lost Girl Holly is addicted to the stuff, which comes in TSA-approved travel sizes. Easily absorbed, the essential fatty acids in the pressed almond oil easily remove stubborn mascara/eyeliner, are gentle enough to moisturize even the most sensitive areas like around your eyes, and help protect from free-radical damage. If your skin is sensitive, dry, or aging, this is the only skincare product you’ll need to toss in your bag besides sunscreen. ($3.50 at 3floz.com).
8. Cover FX Camouflage Concealer and Mineral Pressed Powder Foundation:Sometimes, no matter how hard we try or how religiously we stick to our skincare routines, pimples happen. So when they do, you need a top notch cover-up. Cover FX offers just that. Their 3-in-1 multi-functional makeup is great for face and eye, and it is lightweight, long-lasting and water resistant. It is also free of oil, fragrance and parabens so it works on delicate skin. The Mineral Powder Foundation is an oil-absorbing, anti-shine foundation which is ideal for all skin types. It is infused with SPF 10, so it will help protect your skin from harmful rays. (concealer, $27; powder foundation, $32, available at select Nordstrom and Sephora locations, as well as online at sephora.com or coverfx.com).