Get Paid to Travel – Travel Websites that Pay for ArticlesTravel Writing — By Lost Girls on January 30, 2011 at 2:20 pm
Ready to travel the world? Check out our Guide to First Time Travel!
Be sure to check out our new Pitching 101 Series, including interviews with:
- BootsnAll editor, Katie Hammel
- New York Times’ deputy travel editor, Monica Drake
- The Expeditioner’s founder and editor-in-chief, Matt Stabile
- Galavanting‘s managing editor, Joseph Hernandez
- Travel Belles’ publisher and editor, Margo Millure
- Go NOMAD‘s general edit Max Hartshorne
- Travel Agent senior editor Joe Pike
- TravelingMom‘s editor Cindy Richards
- Recommend‘s managing editor Paloma Villaverde de Rico
Want to get paid to travel? If you’re interested in sharing your travel experiences, there are several travel websites that accept pitches from freelance writers. Here are a few of them, and what they pay per word or post. If you know of any other great sites for freelancers — that either pay or publish for experience — please let us know in the comments as we’re planning to expand this list! Also: We plan to do a “How to Pitch” series with some of these websites, so stay keep checking this page for an updated list!
Travel Websites That Pay for Freelance Articles and Posts
- Travel Belles $10 per post. Read our guide to pitching The Travel Belles here!
- Lost Girls World www.lostgirlsworld.com ($12 per Travel Guide or “Pitching 101″ article) Find out how to write for Lost Girls World by clicking here.
- Jaunted; www.jaunted.com ($15 posts video posts)
- Hotel Chatter www.hotelchatter.com ($15 posts and video posts)
- Oyster Locals www.locals.oyster.com ($25 per post)
- GoNomad; www.gonomad.com; Click here for Go Nomad submission guidelines. Read our guide to pitching GoNOMAD here!
- Gadling, www.gadling.com; $25 per post
- The Expeditioner, www.theexpeditioner.com; $30 per article. Read our guide to pitching The Expeditioner here!
- BoostnAll; www.bootsnall.com, $30 to $50; For BootsnAll Submission Guidelines click here. Read our guide to pitching BootsnAll here!
- New York Times, “In Transit”; http://intransit.blogs.nytimes.com/ $50 per post
- AOL Travel; www.travel.aol.com/ ($250 – $400 for 750 words)
- Transitions Abroad; www.transitionsabroad.com, $50 to $150 per piece; Click here for Transitions Abroad submission guidelines. Read our guide to pitching Transitions Abroad here!
- Slate; slate.com; $.50 per word
- Trip.com; www.trip.com; $.75 per word
- Budget Travel; www.budgettravel.com $.50 to $1 per word
- Fashionable Bride; www.fashionablebride.com; $1 per word
- MSN; www.msn.com; $1 per word
- Travel and Leisure; www.travelandleisure.com; $1,000 per article (Check out their “Web Exclusives” under the “New This Month” tab)
- AARP; www.aarp.com; $1.70 per word
- Matador Network; www.matadornetwork.com (Various). This site also occasionally calls for submissions.
- World Hum http://www.worldhum.com/info/submissions
- Galavanting; www.gogalavanting.com; $15 for all published pieces except features, which net $50. Read our guide to pitching Galavanting here!
- Unanchor: www.unanchor.com; $100 per self-guided tour itinerary
- Locationless Living www.locationlessliving.com; $10 per 250 word article.
- Recommend www.agent.recommend.com; $0.30 per word. Read our guide to pitching Recommend here!
Travel sites that accept submissions for experience, rather than a payment
- Nat Geo Intelligent Travel http://blogs.nationalgeographic.com/intelligenttravel/
- Pink Pangea http://www.pinkpangea.com/
- Huffington Post Travel; http://www.huffingtonpost.com/travel/ (Here’s an interesting Q&A with HuffPo’s Travel Editor Kate Auletta, courtesty of caroundtheworld.com)
Some ideas and rates courtesy of Matador.com, JoAnna Haugen
Check out these related posts: