Get Lost! The Ultimate Guide To First-Time Travel
- 9 pieces of advice that can help you score tickets for less
- These expert strategies can help you save hundreds on airfare [on the Contiki blog]
- Maximize your chances for a smooth takeoff with these airport navigation tips [on the Contiki blog]
- If you buy at the right time and search for the best travel deals online, taking a vacation doesn’t have to break the bank.
Saving for Travel
- Weeks of nonstop travel helped this writer hone in on the top money-saving tricks for the budget-conscious traveler.
- Expert Travel Coach Tara Russell offers insight to those determined to start saving for long-term travel
- Has your travel budget fallen short? Try one of these time-tested ways for making a little cash while you’re on the road.
- It is possible for a budget traveler to have fun in one of the world’s priciest cities—without breaking the bank.
- These gadgets and apps make life on the road so much easier, you’ll wonder how you ever traveled without them
- Whether you want to relive camel-riding in Morocco, or that sexy beach in Brazil, video can transport you back in time. Check out these top memory makers.
- Considering upgrading from your basic point-and-shoot model before your next trip? Read this before you buy.
- They allow you to create an instant party, share tunes or add background music just about anywhere. Use this guide to find the perfect set.
How to Pack
- Hearing across the pond in the warmer months? Contiki packing pro Heather Metcalf shares her suitcase strategies. [on the Contiki blog]
- Beat the kitchen sink syndrome with these top five “don’t-pack” items to leave at home on your next journey
- Whether you’re packing for a 1o-day adventure—or a six week European adventure—these strategies will help you travel lighter
- Finding a pack that fits your body type and personal style can be an adventure in itself. Here's what to know before you buy.
- Meet the travel coach! Whether you want to know how to start saving for travel, how to take a career break or are just seeking advice on whether to take or leave your laptop, licensed travel expert Tara Russell has you covered.
- Want to get paid to see the world? If you’re interested in sharing your travel experiences, there are several travel websites that accept pitches from freelance writers. Here are a few of them, and what they pay per word or per post.
The Lost Girls teamed up with the experts at Contiki Vacations to help you discover the top kickoff trips for first time travelers—and to give you the info you need to start planning the ultimate getaway.
Whether you’re setting out on a solo mission or embarking with friends, this guide will ensure that your journey gets moving in the right direction. Read on to find out why The Lost Girls recommend Contiki for first time travelers and start planning your own great adventure.
Top Trips for First Time Travelers
- No matter what your personal travel style—or how you’re planning to take on the world—there’s a dream destination awaiting you. Check out The Lost Girls recommendations for first-time adventures abroad.
For the Culture VultureTrip to try: 13 days Exploring Ancient Rome, Venice and Florence. Hang out in the seaside resort town of Sorrento and see the ruins of Pompeii. Take a boat ride to the Isle of Capri. Explore the colorful coastal villages that make up Cinque Terre and enjoy the views and cafés.
For the Sun WorshiperTrip to try: 14 DaysCatching sight of the ancient Acropolis in Athens. Take a ferry to the island of Mykonos and enjoy its golden beaches, cosmopolitan atmosphere and vibrant party culture. Sail to Santorini and ride a cable car or donkey up to the cliff-top for sunset cocktails and a panoramic view. See the active volcanic island, Nea Kameni. Cruise to the beautiful island of Ios, where you can chill out poolside, hang out at the beach or cruise around on a traditional sailboat. Read more…
For the Fun-Loving FoodieTrip to try: 15 Days Encountering the best of what España has to offer. Try tapas with sangria in Madrid. Swim and shop in the beach resort of San Sebastian before heading to Pamplona, home of the Running of the Bulls Festival. Spend two nights in Barcelona and enjoy the mix of food, architecture, and fashion. Board a flight to the island of Ibiza and try out some water sports before experiencing the island’s unbeatable nightlife. In Granada, you’ll explore the gabled palace, the wind along the coastline to laid-back Seville before heading back to lively Cordoba. Read more…
For the Romantic WandererTrip to try: 14 days Experiencing the culture, history and lush countryside of Scotland and Ireland. Spend a day exploring the medieval & modern city of Edinburgh. Stop off at St. Andrews to explore the original home of golf. See the stunning moors, mountains, locks, sea cliffs and even explore the Eilean Donan Castle on the Isle of Skye. Visit the William Wallace Monument in lively Glasgow. The head off to Dublin Ireland home of the world famous Temple Bar district filled with bohemian shops, pubs & live music. Kiss the Blarney Stone at Blarney Castle, make a toast at the Jameson Whisky Distillery and check out the medieval castles of Kilkenny. Read more…
For the Adventure-SeekerTrip to try: 14 Days See the bright lights of Bangkok then feel the serenity of the Mekong with its rice paddy, sugar fields and coconut palms. Encounter intriguing Laos, with its isolated villages, spiritual tribes and French colonial past. Take a cooking class in Thailand and watch the sunrise over Angkor Wat in Cambodia.