Lost Girl of the Week: Christine Amorose

Lost Girl of the Week — By on October 19, 2011 at 6:00 am

Christine Amorose, the latest Lost Girl of the Week, quit her job in high-tech PR to become a full-fledged Francophile. Currently based in the French Riviera, she writes about her experiences at C’est Christine in between soaking up the sun and attempting to parler Francais. An aspiring freelance writer, she’s a native Californian with a degree in journalism. While her travels have been focused in Europe so far, she can’t wait to explore the rest of the world.

*****

The only thing I know for certain? There is a whole world out there that you can’t explore on two weeks of vacation a year. And I’m going to embrace being a lost girl, to try and see as much of it as I can before I find my way home.

I remember chatting with one of my favorite professors as my senior year of college came to an end. I was stressing that the five-week solo backpacking trip I’d been planning as a post-graduation treat would
seriously hurt my chances in a recession-stricken job hunt.

“Enjoy this moment,” he told me. “This is probably the last time in your life that you don’t know where you’ll be at this time next year.”

At the time, it struck me as being scarily true: I would soon be a “grown-up” with a real job, serious boyfriend and an apartment of my own. If all went according to the American dream, I’d soon be promoted, married and have a house in the suburbs with 2.5 kids. The rest of my life felt completely mapped out for me.

When I returned from Europe, I landed a great job in high-tech PR and an affordable apartment of my own, but then my boyfriend and I broke up, leaving me to wonder what was keeping me in a life that was profitable but passion-less. I decided it was now or never to follow through on my dream of living in France.

There are days when I still can’t believe my to-do list: lay out at the beach, eat ice cream, watch a French movie, write something. I waitress in a gastronomic pub and work as a cooking class assistant to pay the rent—an ideal combination for a girl who mostly loves to talk and eat.

I know that I love travel, writing, food—but sometimes I get worried that because I don’t have a passion or a specialty, an aha moment or a business plan, I’m going to get left behind. I sometimes hear news of a friend’s promotion or look at engagement pictures with a tinge of envy: is that the life I’m supposed to be living? It’s funny how society’s pressure can weigh on you from thousands of miles away, through
innate guilt and social networks.

I have no idea where I’ll be at this time next year, or even where I want to be. Learning Spanish in South America, bartending in Australia, getting my yoga teaching certificate in India, eating sushi in Japan, bungee jumping in New Zealand: it’s all on my list.

But now my professor’s words feel more like a challenge than a curse. I don’t want to know where I’m going to be in six months, let alone in 10 years. I want to live for today, and I want to be able to change my mind tomorrow. If that makes me lost, I don’t know if I want to be found.

Tags: , ,

• chilipari says:

Je crois que c’est ce que j’ai vu aussi.

• ayngelina says:

Great pick, I love this blog.

• Stephanie says:

Societal pressure is a weird thing- I feel it often too. You seem so happy in your life now though, I truly think you have made the right choice!

• Lindsey says:

Great reflections Christine! Your “aha” moment will come, even if it doesn’t fit into the constraints of a 9-5 job, marriage, or a business plan! You’ll find what’s right for you. Keep exploring!

• Stephanie says:

At 24, I’m still waiting for that “ah ha” moment too. In a way tho, my “ah ha” moment was realizing that I don’t need one in order to have an amazing life full of purpose and achievement. Just keep exploring, and even if you find something, continue the exploring!

Bonne chance!

• Lauren says:

I completely identify with this! I have a degree in journalism, graduated a couple years ago, worked at a PR agency, quit to get certified as an ESL instructor and moved to a foreign country. I still had a boyfriend at the time though – he was still in school. I ended up missing him like crazy and just really never feeling comfortable with my decision to be there by myself. It was a weird feeling-it wasn’t just being away from him-something wasn’t right. So, I came back and ended up doing a plethora of things, including minimal freelance writing.

Since returning to the states, it’s become really apparent that peace and happiness lie within. If you don’t REALLY know yourself and have an inner-confidence/peace, you will be unsatisfied no matter where you are. I’ve had a hard time accepting that my self-worth should not be measured by my career. I have to remind myself – what could be more human, more important, than to experience life, including all of it’s colors, sights, people and sounds? I’m currently finishing a yoga teacher certification program (something else we have in common!) and will be taking a part-time job with excellent, steady pay so that I may teach and get back to freelancing in my off time.

After a year of saving money and gaining experience as a yoga teacher, I will embark on my second attempt at being an expat, taking a go at travel writing, teaching yoga abroad and teaching ESL. I don’t know how it’s all going to work out, but I’m choosing to have faith that all will work out as it’s meant to be.

I look forward to reading more of your articles and learning more about you! When you get lonely, remember that for the most part, your friends and family are doing the exact same things they always do. Remind yourself that you are stepping outside the box and that you will be rewarded for that in transformational ways.

• Andi says:

Bon voyage!!! I think you made the perfect decision! 🙂

• Katie says:

Way to go Christine!!! So proud of you!!!

• Annie says:

Great post Christine. After having met you and chatting with you about how your life has changed again, I know what you mean and I think you have a great handle on what you want in life!

I’m feeling the same way after a somewhat unstable time in Italy and now starting off in Australia, we’ll see what happens! Keep living the dream! 🙂

• Cherina says:

The French Riviera…sigh. You totally make the right decision!

• Nasstaja says:

Way to go Christine! We should all be doing what makes us happy. Bonne chance on what ever your next move will be…

• I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an nervousness over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again since exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike.